A couple of things I want to get off my mind from this past week. One of them is this shooting in a gay club in Orlando perpetrated by Omar Mateen. I was out of the country when this happened but I got an alert about it on my phone and it's been very hard to keep up with the constantly changing hoard of information while on limited internet access. But now I am home and I can process some of it.
He is, by all accounts, a very disturbed individual who decided to end his life by taking 49 other innocent lives with him. Lives that he took simply because he found them to be different. What a horrible tragedy. I am so saddened that America is once again reeling from this sort of gun violence. And worst of all, it seems to be getting worse over the years with this Orlando shooting at Pulse now being the most deadly mass shooting in America since 1984.
A few links I've saved from this past week deal with this scenario and the after-effects of it. Here they are if you are interested in reading.
- How the Orlando Sentinel reported the country's deadliest mass shooting with a third of its staff.
- Outed by a mass shooting in Orlando. I never thought about this, but this would be a double whammy for any families involved. Sucks.
- President Obama's statement on the Orlando nightclub shooting.
- Breakdown of the shooting.
- And finally, the video above which shows found-footage from a documentary called "The Big Fix" about the Gulf BP oil spill, that features Omar Mateen as a security guard for the spill premises.