Earlier today, a reddit thread popped up that really had an interesting writing prompt: If you could call yourself five years ago and had 30 seconds, what would you say?
The responses are a mixed bag of heartwarming memories, devastating truths, and silly get-rich-quick-schemes, but the heart of the question resonated with me quite deeply. If I could tell myself anything in 30 seconds 5 years ago, knowing what I know today, what would I say?
First, some background...
Five years ago, it was September 2011. I was working a good job right around the corner from my house, I was dating Joyce, I was living in a fantastic apartment in Manhattan with my brothers, I had just gotten my first tattoo, and all of our family pets were still around. Later that year, I would make a 2nd trip out to Los Angeles which would instill in me a deep longing to move there which I ended up doing the following year.
It was, in short, a good time in my life. But if I had 30 seconds, what would I say to myself? I would make a list and start it off like this:
Hey man, it's you, calling from the future (sidenote: myself from 5 years ago would totally be prepared for a phone call from myself from the future -- I still wait for one today. So no need to waste time explaining anything because my past-self will just understand.). RECORD THIS CALL NOW AND KEEP IT FOREVER.
1. Don't worry about money. Spend on travel.
2. Be nicer. Be more patient.
3. Spend more time with Dusty, Oreo, Joey, and Bonnie. They all pass away within 5 years.
4. Don't quit your job the way you did.
5. Complain less about living in LA. You end up liking it in the end.
6. Take more videos of Tygra and Pepper (you'll meet them soon).
7. Don't travel back to NYC.
8. Cherish every moment with friends, family, and loved ones.